WLE | C & I | SOE | UW
Streaming videos | Lesson Planning | Events & Workshops | Self-reflective Video | Cooperating Teachers
Teacher Certification Programs | Masters Programs | Ph.D. Program
Current Projects | Past Projects | Forthcoming Projects
Certification Programs | Certification FAQs | Masters Programs | Masters FAQs | Ph.D. Program | Ph.D. FAQs
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

WLE programs: Masters

FAQs-Frequently Asked Questions

The information below is provided all rights reserved. It is meant to be informative but it does not replace the official guidelines and requirements set up by the UW-Madison and the Department of Curriculum & Instruction. If you have any question or remark about the following questions and answers, please contact the WLE area program head, Professor Francois Tochon: ftochon@education.wisc.edu

Certification Program Possibilities

Our certification programs are currently non-degree programs. Undergraduate students can apply for specific certification programs as soon as their major requirements are completed and thus our programs can partly overlap with their Bachelor 's degree. Students having a B.A. or a B.S. can also be admitted to the Certification programs but will not get a Master's degree for it. These programs are not related to each other. Program specific requirements need to be completed for all these tracks. We are currently reflecting on ways to possibly initiate a Master's degree with Certification but this is not a reality now.


What are the tuition & fees for non-residents?

Question: I live in Arizona and would like to know what is the current cost per credit for non-residents.

Response: Spring 2003-2004 Fee Schedule - Graduate Students Tuition & Fees


Non Resident


























For up-to-date tuition&fees information, please visit http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/fees_tuition/tuition.php


I Live Outside Wisconsin. Is it Possible to Get a Master's Degree through enrolling in Summer Courses?

Question: I read in U.S. News & World Report that your graduate programs are ranked first. I live in Texas and teach Spanish in High School. I would like to apply for admission to your Master's degree program. Is it possible to complete degree requirements during Summer? I could come the number of Summers required.

Response: This is possible. Nonetheless , you should know that we have less course offerings in the Summer than during other semesters. Also , if you want to apply for more than four Summer credits, then you will need to fill out an authorization form in advance that will be forwarded to the Graduate School . You can be authorized for up to 8 Summer credits. It will be important to access the Summer timetable early enough and verify with your advisor what courses are available in C&I and in other departments. We may have WLE courses at C&I during the Summer but it is not always the case. Other courses in C&I may be culture-related, ed ucational techology -related, curriculum-related or research-related. You may want to look at courses given in English on Advanced Methods Topics in the Department of French & Italian (FR 821) as they may be suitable for language TAs and teachers, as well as courses given by Prof. Diana Frantzen in the Department of Spanish & Portuguese, by Prof. Charles James in the German Department, and by Jane Zuengler or Prof. Richard Young in the English Department. On 24 credits for the M.S. in C&I, WLE area, you can have up to 12 credits in other Departments. Notwithstanding choices must be discussed with your advisor and they should be coherent in terms of a professional development project or a research project.


Should I Choose The M.S. In C&I Or The Joint MA French/ German/ Spanish And Education ?

Question: What is the difference between the M.S. in C&I (WLE area) and the Joint M.A.s French & Education, Spanish & Education, or German & Education? What are the pros and cons of each program? Can I get a teaching license with any of those programs?

Response: The number of credits is the same but the Joint Master ' s MUST be shared across two Departments from two different Colleges. Students who choose the Joint MA are students with a strong literature background in the target language, and who wish to have 12 credits (4 courses) in the target language plus 12 credits in Curriculum & Instruction. Our experience has been that students who applied for these Joint MAs sometimes did not pass the admission process because the language & culture Department applied to these students the admission criteria of a Literature MA. Their requirement is a prior strong survey of all the Literature Centuries in the target language during the language Major. We have no such restrictions at C&I. If you apply to such Joint MAs, please be aware that Literature Departments will not consider your application after December 30 for the following Fall semester. Also C&I will have to evaluate your file before sending it to the Literature Department because C&I is the main seat of those Master ' s degrees.

One asset of the Joint Master ' s Degree Programs is that they open up the way for a Ph . D . in SLA or a Ph . D . in a College of Letters & Sciences. Another asset is the existence of wide-ranging language and literature experiences. However, this quality is shared with the Master ' s in C&I. Indeed the Master ' s Degree Program in C&I allows you to have up to 12 credits in other departments. The Joint Master's are less flexible. For instance, you could NOT take 12 credits in C&I, or 3 credits in Ed ucational Policy, and 9 credits in Spanish. On the other hand, in the Master's Degree Program in C&I , you could have such a curriculum, conditional to your advisor supporting this choice as a coherent choice for the type of professional development or research you are targeting.

Actually because of this shared characteristic, the Joint M.A.s might be closed in 2006 by decision of the provost 's office: they partly overlap the Master in C&I, foreign language education area . In C&I, you can flexibly choose the composition of your M.S. with the advisor.

Currently, the Master 's degree is NOT related with the teaching license. This means two things: (1) you do not need a license to access it, just the B.A. or B.S.; (2) you cannot receive a teaching license with this program. It is a program that leads to graduate studies, research, and a Ph . D . , which can be done in SLA (second language acquisition) or WLE (foreign language education).

If you WANTED a teaching license and already had substantial school experience, then you would have to demonstrate that experience, and depending this experience we could see whether a customized M.S. program might help you along the path of the FL certification. This would be very exceptional. We are currently reflecting about the possible advantages of changing for instance the Joint MAs into MAT certification Master degrees.


Can I Get Equivalences for Graduate Courses I Had in Other Universities?

Question: Can I get Equivalences for two graduate courses I had in other Universities?

Response: We cannot ensure in advance that grad courses you had elsewhere will be automatically transferred to your C&I Master's program. Equivalences are not common practice at C&I due to our very high standards. We have to see your grades, and the syllabus and contents of the external course to make a decision. Equivalences are exceptional, they might be given if the contents really match C&I courses. A maximum of two equivalences would be the rule for exceptions.


Is The Course C&I 564 on Advanced Methods For Graduate Students?

Question: I am interested in the 564 class on Advanced Problems on Teaching World Languages. Is it a graduate class?

Response: In Fall, C&I 564 Advanced Methods is a class given to three undergraduate student teachers in French, Spanish, and German (all the others went to student teach abroad) plus one graduate student teacher of Chinese (a Master 's student). This course is the final Methods class of the four-semester Certification program. We were often asked to open this class to graduate students as well, which is possible because it is a 500 level course. Having a few experienced teachers with those four-semester student teachers can be a wonderful experience. Part of 564 is an inquiry into language teaching methods, and some course sessions are held in the Mac-PC lab for the design of your professional e-portfolios. In-service teachers in Wisconsin have to build professional development projects, and the e-portfolio lab provides a wonderful opportunity in this regard. Moreover , the alternation between theory-presentation classes and e-lab give some flexibility if sometimes you were to miss a class or if you wanted to develop your specific project. Otherwise, Prof Gary Price is giving a neat introduction to research in Education. We also have a very strong Educational Technology area in C&I, and you can always adapt your course work to foreign language teaching and learning.


Contact Us | ©2007 WLE, UW-Madison